Tuesday, 17 September 2013

Train-Style Vanity Case





I first saw this bag out there somewhere in blog land sometime last year and decided that I really wanted one despite the fact that I don't own any make-up,apart from a lot of semi congealed nail varnish,and that I don't travel anywhere that I could take this little bag to.
Anyway,I bought the book the pattern was in ( "A Bag For All Reasons" by Lisa Lam) and it has sat there ever since being leafed through occasionally but I always looked longingly at the picture on page 145.

If you like bags then there are some nice ones in here
 One of the reasons for not ploughing straight in was the long list of "ingredients" but eventually greed and avarice took over, plus I re-discovered several metres of piping cord that I thought I had either lost or imagined I had bought, so there was no excuse.I did have to send away for two things,woven fusible interfacing and extra stiff double sided fusible interfacing, which I did from u-handbag.com.With hindsight I now realise that I had other stuff in my cupboard that does the same job just as well and I could have saved my money.

another bow!

 I must admit that at first I found the instructions exceptionally confusing but perhaps that is just me and my middle aged mostly dead brain.By the way if any of you out there have the book or have made this bag can any one explain the bit in step 2 that requires you to iron into place on to the wrong side of the lining fabric the extra stiff interfacing.....because it is fusible on both sides and you only need it to adhere on one side.The ingredients list does call for double sided fusible interfacing but it seems completely un-neccessary.I just sewed it in place in the end.

version 2
 To be fair it wasn't too tricky on the whole to make....not once I moved on from step 2 that is.The zips were a doddle and turned out quite well.My piping could have gone a bit better but I have not piped for a long time and I am happy with the end result.There were an awful lot of layers to sandwich together though with a narrow 5mm seam allowance so it was a bit scary at times.My machine has not got a lot of oomph to it and I think one verging more on the industrial strength side of things might have coped better.


 The lid and base inner seam binding on my first pink version was not too good but it improved on the second version.I made the second one principally because I got carried away and made too much piping and didn't want it to go to waste.On both versions I omitted the elasticated strip for holding brushes as I don't have any.The pink bag used up all of my purchased for the project supplies so I dug around and found some fairly stiff interfacing for the sides and used some white pelmet buckram for stiffening the lid and base which worked a treat.In fact the second version is more sturdier and stands better by itself than the pink one...which had to be "stuffed" for the photo.

fairly respectable innards

If you like a bit of a challenge and have a desire to own a pretty bag then have a go at this one because it is worth the effort....just look first to see what stiff interfacing you might have kicking about at home before you buy anything else.

13 comments:

  1. I love this bag, and your versions are simply lovely. You having me wantIng to make one, whether I need it or not.
    Sarah
    www.betsysbaby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I think they are just too pretty not to have,but then I am greedy!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, both versions are lovely!!! I'm with you on the dead brain thing - my just seems to conk out sometimes, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable. I love the lining fabric. I also think it is great that you made both with no particular use in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! well my daughter wants one of them now...she just can't decide which one!

      Delete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous, and so professional-looking and precise. The big question is: will one of your deer heads fit inside? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!they just about fit so I need to make a few more so that all the herd have one!

      Delete
  5. I love the retro look of these, the material you choose complements the design perfectly. They remind me of old fashioned 'vanity cases'. If you don't have a lot of make up you could fill them with craft supplies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!yes,mine might be used to put my crochet in I think!

      Delete
  6. Very cute! I also wouldn't have enough make-up to till them, but I'm sure you'll find some other uses for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look wonderful! And I agree, they can function as other things, not just make-up bags. The bow is especially adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are wonderful and I can see why you wanted to make them, no matter how much travelling you do.

    ReplyDelete